Oh my, the PS5 Showcase is quite the hype machine with announcements like God of War Ragnarok, Spider Man 2, a new Wolverine game, and remasters of some beloved games from the past!
PS5 Showcase 2021
God Of War Ragnarok
- In game reveal
- Will show how the relationship between Kratos and Atreus evolves
- Game is about Ragnaok from Norse mythology
- Thor and Odin are in in the game
- Tyr, the Norse god of war is revealed
- The girl in the end is one of the last remaining giants
- Both Miles and Spiderman fight together
- Featuring Venom
- Coming 2023
- By Insomniac games
- Short teaser
- Emotional and suspenseful journey
- PS5 Exclusive
Gran Turismo 7
- Showed off in-game graphics and gameplay
- Bringing the best features from the franchise in the game
- Coming in March, 2022
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
- New trailer, featuring the song Gimme Chocolate!! from Baby Metal. "A world of metal and magic... and also guns, Lots of guns"
- Glimpse of the four playable characters; ogre, mage, warrior, and elf types
- Gameplay footage, worlds, enemies, and abilities
- Coming out March 25th, 2022
Uncharted 4 A Thief's End and The Lost Legacy remastered
- Remastered for PS5 and PC
Alan Wake Remastered
- Epic Games Publishing, by remedy Games
- First time on PS
- October 5th for PS4 and PS5
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remake
- Star Wars game by Lucasfilm Interactive and Aspyr
- Complete remake for the PS5
GTA V PS5 edition
- Improved graphics, enhanced gameplay, seamless character switching, and more
- GTA Online
- Coming to PS5 on March 2022
- Adventure game inspired by New Caledonia, French territory comprising dozens of islands in the South Pacific.
- Game where the girl can transform into animals and control them
- Done by Shift Up Second Eve Studio
- Fast-paced and dynamic movements, Bayonetta/DMC feel but with swords
- Post-apocalyptic world, you have to "descend" and try to save the world.
- Crazy alien monster hoards, enemies can "parasatize" corpses
- Coming to PS5 and PC
- Tantus Syla is the main antagonist
- Spring 2022
Epilogue GB Operator First Impressions
- A device that you can slot your GB, GBC, and GBA games in and connect it to your PC
- It's very well built and it came with a USB-A to USB-C cable
- Epilogue Operator software is needed to run the games, gave me some issues to launch which was remedied by "Troubleshoot compatibility" option in Windows
- Once a cartridge has been placed, the software will show you the game artwork, title, developer, and synopsis. It will also let you know if you have an official cartridge and whether it's a read-only cartridge or not
- You can configure gamepad controls, however there's no way to change the keyboard controls. Emulator and device settings will be available in a future update
- You can download and upload the rom and save files from and to your connected cartridge.
- If a cartridge has a dead battery, then you can still runt the game, but just like on an actual Gameboy, the saved data will be gone and you can't save your progress.
- There are only a few flash carts that are compatible with the GB Operator, but more will be added in the future.
- EZ Flash Omega
- EZ Flash Junior
- Everdrive devices
- EZF Advance Realtime Cart
- There is a greyed out Photos tab
New GBA game coming this year
- Goodboy Galaxy is the first new GBA game in over 13 years.
- Goodboy Galaxy was a Kickstarter campaign with an initial goal of $25,000USD
- With almost 3,000 backers it raised over $200,000USD with 16 days to go still as of recording
- Reward tiers are:
- Digital Pack (GBA + PC) £18
- Digital Download (Nintendo Switch) £18
- Boxed Nintendo Switch Physical Version £35
- Game Boy Advance Physical Pack £44
- Game Boy Advance Special Edition £70
- There are currently two versions. GBA Physical pack and GBA Special Pack
- GBA Physical Pack: includes the physical GBA game, an instruction manual and stickers inside the box.
- GBA Special Pack: has all the above plus a soundtrack cd, mini art book and patches.
- The game is a 2D exploration based platformer. Described as a cuter Metroidvania. The main protagonist as Maxwell, a talking space dog
- Game is coming to steam and the Nintendo switch as well as part of their stretch goals
- Demo is available now. Chapter Zero.
- Game is slated to launch in 2023
Horizon Forbidden West PS4 to PS5 upgrade woes
- It was mentioned last year in a PS Blog article that the digital and disc versions of "launch games" like Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West would be getting free PS5 upgrades.
- Sony then announced that this would only be applicable to the Digital Deluxe, Collectors, and Regalla editions, meaning that the Standard or Special editions would not be getting a free upgrade
- This was rectified later and now all versions of the game should be getting a free upgrade, however, moving forward all first-party and exclusive digital and physical games will require $10 to upgrade, and Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Ragnorok were used as examples
- Ubisoft was quick to announce after the $10 dollar upgrade cost was revealed by Sony that Farcry 6 will in fact be getting a free upgrade after the game comes out
- This has given Microsoft and Xbox's Smart Delivery system some positive PR as they have committed that all first-party games will just need to be purchased once and can be played on PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles
- T: This is one aspect of the Xbox that makes it "more like a PC", since when upgrading your PC you can still play the game you bought for it. Having said that, the storage expansion cards are not PC-like at all
Twitch streamers leaving for YouTube
- DrLupo announced in late August that he will be leaving Twitch and streaming exclusively on YouTube, with the first official stream being on August 31st. TimTheTatman announced on Sept 1st that he is also leaving Twitch and will be streaming exclusively on YouTube.
- TimTheTatMan had 7 Million Followers and DrLupo had 4.5
- Sept 1st is the same day as #ADayOffTwitch protest. This saw people boycotting Twitch to raise awareness for hate raids that were targeting marginalized streamers which was easy to do using the new tag system that Twitch implemented.
- Other big name streamers that have made the move in the past are Dr Disrespect (although he was banned from Twitch), CouRage, and Valkyrie.
- Dr Lupo says that YouTube has presented him a financial situation that will secure him for life.
- YouTube offered these streamers contracts that made revenue from streaming irrelevant. It was a guaranteed income for them. Valkyrie said that it wouldn't have mattered even if she had one viewer. Dr Disrespect said that the revenue he made from his YouTube streams is just a quarter of what he used to make from Twitch.
- Tim said that the deal with YT will give him more flexibility in streaming and spending more time with family.
- T: Harris Heller made a similar move but he was not offered a contract, he did it willingly because YouTube is a more discoverable platform for VOD content.
- T: As a streaming platform, YouTube isn't as profitable for streamers as Twitch is, and is still missing some features like gifted subs, clips, and chatting features. However, YouTube is working on bolstering it's platform while Twitch seems to be loosing a grip on theirs.