Yikes, it's being reported that the new PS5 models that are 300 grams lighter are actually a few degrees hotter. How bad is the situation and should care (if you can find a PS5)? Also, we have a little more details from the Dead Space remake thanks to a transparent live stream from the devs.
Is the lights PS5 model worse?
- Austin Evans did a side by side comparison of the original PS5 and the new model
- In the tear down they found out some key differences
- The heat sink in the new one is smaller than the original
- It is lighter by 300grams (less copper in the heat sink)
- The Wi-Fi chip and wires used are different. Unknown in what capacity
- The board colors are different. Darker shade of green on the new one
- The screw at the bottom for the stand is easier to use and open without tools
- The heat emission in the new PS5 model is 3-5 degrees hotter than the original using a seek thermal camera. 52 degrees vs 55 degrees on initial testing
- The fan used is better and quieter than original. Sound meter readings 43.5 Db vs 42.1Db
- Power draw is at 225watts draw OG vs 228-230watts NEW.
- The higher heat can cause throttling, performance issues, further down the life of the PS5
- Sony announces that they are finally making a profit on each PS5 sold.
- This is apparent from using cost cutting materials according to the tear down
- Launch PS5 is still king
T: There's backlash against Austin for allegedly misleading people as some are claiming that the testing was incomplete as Austin should have actually tested the temperatures of the chips and not just the vents.
Dead Space updates
- Senior Producer Philippe Ducharme and Creative Director Roman Campos-oriola hosted a Twitch stream to reveal some information about the upcoming remake.
- This is the first time they do a transparent developer showcase of an early build of the game.
- The main differences are
- Isaac Clarke, the main protagonist, will get be fully voiced by Gunner Wright as apposed to the grunts and screams of before.
- Some rules have been imposed for his speaking: he will only speak when spoken to and will speak in a situation where it would feel weird if he was silent.
- There's a new limb shooting system that shows the plater strips of flesh coming off as you shoot them to gauge how much damage you have done.
- There will be enemy weak points that feel organic and there will be more variety in how weapons affect enemies.
- Zero gravity areas actually let you float, like in the original game sequels, instead of leaping between surfaces.
- Developers reiterated that there will be no microtransactions in the Dead Space remake.
- Story foundation will not change but will rather be enriched with a bigger universe. They want to tie the story with any lore that came after the original game, whter it's books, anime, or Dead Space 2.
- Side characters will get fleshed out. An example of that is that in the story Isaac is looking for his girlfriend Nicole Brennan, but the dev claim that it in the game it never seemed like he was, and that's one of the things that they want to change.
- They are using the Frostbite engine to make the game, and they will leverage the super-fast SSDs "to offer a fully unbroken experience" that will be "an uninterrupted sequence shot, from the start screen to the end credit, without interruption".
PUBG Mobile Mena Cup update
- Registrations for the Flash Entertainment PUBG Mobile Mena Cup closed today.
- The target was 128 teams, but 350 teams registered, and 256 teams were selected
- The tournament will be taking place from 3rd to 9th of September and will be streamed on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/abudhabi_gaming:
- 3rd and 4th will be for off-stream qualifiers
- 5th and 6th will be for on-stream qualifiers
- 7th and 8th will be for on-stream semi-finals
- 9th will be for the on-stream finals
- Total prize pool of 18,000 AED
- 10,000 AED for first place
- 5,000 AED for second place
- 3,000 AED for third place
A year of achievements with YAS HEAT
- Racing Esports academy based in the UAE
- August 2021 marked their one-year anniversary and they are celebrating the success they've have in the last year
- 786 podiums (67%), 493 victories (42%), and nine championships out of the 1,168 races they have participated in
- Crowned season two champions of the Sim Grid Endurance Cup
- Chille-based Angel Inostroza qualified for the 2021 Virtual Olympics from a group of 4,000 competitors that took part in a week-long event, out of which only 16 would progress.
- One of the racers is Emirati Khalifa Alqubaisi, who is amongst other regional talent that has been discovered
- Saif Al-Noaimi, Team Principal states that the next 12 months of YAS Heat is focused on growing their academy programme and entering even more championships
Saints Row devs react to backlash
- When the new Saints Row trailer dropped, there was a lot of backlash from the fans which is apparent by the like to dislike ratio on YouTube (23K:49K at the time of writing).
- It seems to be a combination of not showing enough gameplay footage and the direction the new game will be taking, even though in the reveal the devs promised that the tone will remain the same.
- The official Saints Row Twitter account was replying to fan's on Twitter and in one response they said "We are not backing down on this game. We get it, it’s new and it’s a shock reaction to a reboot like no other."
- The following day, the devs dropped a new extended trailer featuring Bryce Charles who voices The Boss. The trailer included a mix of pre-alpha gameplay footage and in-game cutscenes, and developer conversations.
- Devs didn't want to limit their creativity by just looking at what they did in the past and relying on that, which is why they went with the new characters, story, and location.
- Footage shows some of the action that happens in the game and the journey of the four friends starting their empire.
- They're promising crazy character customization and allowing you to build your empire and make money the way you want to, under the philosophy of being self-made, and that it will be a combination of "humor, over the top, and badass"
- The extended trailer still ended up getting a negative like to dislike ration (11K:20K at the time of writing).
Another football game enters the pitch
- UFL is a new football game for consoles that was announced during Gamescom Opening Night Live
- Developed by Strikers Inc and built on Unreal Engine.
- In development for 5 years and will be free-to-play and center around managing clubs, getting a team together and developing tactics and eventually competing against other player's teams.
- It will be featuring over 5,000 licensed footballers
- UFL was developed as a response to the other football simulators "having barely updated themselves to keep up with modern gaming tactics"
- 'Fair to Play' is their mantra and the devs will have a zero tolerance policy for pay-to-win
- No other details or even a release date has been announced yet
eFootball will barely launch this month
- eFootball will launch on September 30th, and as revealed and confirmed by Konami before, there will be some modes missing and this is essentially a demo.
- Offline matches can be played against AI or a friend
- The available teams are Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Manchester United, Arsenal, Corinthians, Flamengo, River Plate, and Sao Paulo
- Playable stadiums will be Camp Nou, Old Trafford, Allianz Stadium, Emirates Stadium, Allianz Arena, and the eFootball Stadium
- You can compete in weekly online events, but this will not include cross-play with other consoles
- The big update for eFootball will arrive in the fall, which will add more game modes such as:
- Creative Teams, which will allow you to sign players from over 600 licensed clubs/teams to build your own all-star team.
- Tour Event, which will have you playing against AI in a tour format and earning rewards by accumulating Event Points
- Challenge Event, where you will play against other players online to earn rewards by completing assigned objectives
- Online Quick Match, which is where you can play a casual online match against other players using over 600 licensed clubs/teams as well as cross-platform matchmaking between PC and consoles
- Online Match Lobby, which allows you to create an online match room and invite players to play 1v1 matches
- The update will also include the eFootball Coins currency, which is different from the GP and eFootball Points currencies in the game
- Future plans after the fall update include:
- Edit Mode, where you can completely customize teams, kits, players and more
- PS5 haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support
- Advanced ball trapping
- Power Pass, Power Shot, and other special kicks
- Mobile controller support
- Full cross-platform matchmaking between PC, console, and mobile
Halo Infinite gets rid of XP progression
- Halo community manager, John Junyszek, tweeted that player progression is tied to battle pass progression.
- Previous Halo multiplayer games was tied to an XP system where you always gained some amount of XP and progress no matter how the match went. the more you play the more you gain.
- He mentions some challenges includes daily challenges for playing matches as an example
- The Halo gaming community is worried at large that this will affect how people will play games and not focus on helping their team to win and rather focus on completing the challenges.
- Another worry is that they will use this battle pass system to monetize the game and may allow for battle pass tier skips as an example with microtransactions.
- The only good aspect of the battle pass system is that it is permanent. Meaning you can always go back to complete the original season and get progress.
Mario Kart in Flight simulator?!
- A modder, Illogicoma, using the in game tools, added Mario Kart music and made tracks.
- The video starts at Mount Wario, then takes a tour through Mute City, Cloudtop Cruise, Moo Moo Meadows, Rainbow Road, Bowsers Castle and Shy Guy Falls.
- There is no lap tracking system so players can't race against each other, so they used rings around the track so they can force a proper tracking for players.
- The footage showed the game to be a bit slow, but Illogicoma will try again once the Top Gun update gets released later this year.
- There is also a competitive multiplayer update coming before the end of the year.
Cyberpunk 2077 modders hired by CD Projekt RED
- CD Projekt RED have decided to hire modders from the community to help build their Cyberpunk 2077 modding tools
- The modders who will officially join are
- They made WolvenKit; an open-source tool to allow modders to modify Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3, by allowing to edit any file in the game.
- Traderain and Nightmarea have a company Yigsoft based out of Budapest. They are a custom development studio.
- The modders will join CDPR under Yigsoft and will remain operationally separate to the CDPR.
Cyberpunk next-gen version delayed... Thankfully?
- Michal Nowakowski from CDPR said that the team is aiming for a PS5 version by the end of the year, however the launch date could easily change and he isn't fully certain that they might be able to release it this year.
- They're taking into account the lessons learned from the past year as well as the fact that the project is still in development.
- Saber Interactive is working on The Witcher 3 version for the PS5 and is targeting a late 2021 release date, but they also can't be certain that the date won't change.
- More than a third of the dev team is working on the PS5 version and patches for the original title
- The other 2 thirds are working on the DLC and other projects.